Electronic cigarettes or vaping have become increasingly popular over the past few years, since they mimic the experience of smoking a traditional cigarette without producing second hand smoke that would inconvenience people nearby. Here are a few facts about vaping and how it is safer than smoking a cigarette.
Vaping is not smoking; it is inhaling water vapour through a personal vapourizer or electronic cigarette. E-cigarettes look, feel, act and taste just like real cigarettes. They have been designed for adult smokers, who want to continue their nicotine habit at a reduced risk level. They contain a cartridge filled with vaping liquid, a mixture of Propylene Glycol or Vegetable Glycerin based liquid mixed with a small quantity of nicotine, which has been dissolved in water. A rechargeable battery and a tiny heating element help turn the liquid into nicotine-laced vapour and the vaper, person using e-cigarettes, gets a hit of nicotine with each puff.
Generally vaping liquid is composed of 5 ingredients:
1. VG (Vegetable Glycerin): This is the base of vaping liquid and makes up 80-90% of it.
2. PG (Propylene Glycol): This is commonly mixed with VG as the base for vaping liquid.
3. Flavour: Vaping liquid contains 10-20% of food grade flavourings.
4. Nicotine: 0-2.4% of nicotine is added to the vaping liquid depending on the strength.
5. Sometimes distilled water is added to dilute.
Is Vaping Safe?
Although it is safe to quit smoking altogether, vaping is a much safer practise than smoking tobacco. E-cigarettes are marketed as a healthier alternative to traditional cigarettes as they help smokers quit and are safer for long-term health. Vaping helps to eliminate 4000 chemicals and carcinogenic compounds that are associated with real cigarettes. But as vaping liquid can also contain nicotine as an option for maximised effect of cigarette smoking, they cannot be considered to be harmless. Vaping liquids have approximately 4 chemical ingredients that are water soluble viscous liquids. These vaping liquids deliver nicotine or other flavoured vapours, which provide a similar sensation to inhaling tobacco smoke.
Benefits of Vaping
- Better health
- No more smoker’s breath (no nasty smell in your clothes, hair, car, house or anywhere around you)
- No or less tobacco
- No offensive smoke
- No fire
- No ash
- Exempt from public smoking ban
- Cheaper than cigarettes
- No second hand smoke
- A better alternative to smoking.
Once you start vaping, you will not enjoy smoking a regular cigarette as they will taste bad and the smoke will bother you when you inhale it into your lungs. Soon you will be able to smell and taste things, and you will be coughing less.