The medical procedure of bone marrow transplantation is performed to replace diseased bone marrow with healthy bone marrow stem cell. The new stem cells are introduced to kick start the production if new blood cells which was hindered by the diseased bone marrow. It can be performed in two different ways –
- AUTOLOGOUS TRANSPLANT, where the patient’s own healthy stem cells are harvested before killing the diseased stem cells with chemotherapy. Once the infected stem cells are taken care of, the healthy ones are introduced back into the patient’s body.
- ALLOGENEIC TRANSPLANT, where the healthy stem cells are collected from a donor who is of a close genetic match with the patient. A closer match ensures a more successful transplant.
This medical procedure can give rise to more than one complication. The most common ones are –
- Graft – versus – host disease which arises when the newly introduced donor cells attack the patient’s own body.
- Graft failure occurs when the transplanted stem cells fail to produce new cells defeating the whole purpose of the transplantation.
- Internal bleeding in lungs, brain and other body parts.
- Anemia which occurs due to the lack of red blood cells in the body.
- The immunity of the patient is brought down so it doesn’t interfere with the newly introduced stem cell. This gives rise to various infections.
- Nausea, diarrhea and vomiting is often caused due to general infections.
- Mucositis is also common among patients which causes inflammation and soreness in their mouth, stomach and throat.
- A sudden dip in the blood pressure due to the reduction of the blood cells in the body.
- Fever accompanied with chills is also very common.
- Damage to vital organs
Although the complication night seem to be a little overwhelming, with the right guidance and treatment from a good doctor will make this life saving procedure a whole lot smoother. Here’s a look at the top 5 doctors for bone marrow transplantation in India.
A senior consultant at Global Hospitals, Bangalore, with an experience of 13 years, Dr. Anoop, deals with blood disorders in both adults and children as well as solid organ cancer in children.
DR. VIKAS DUA
With an experience of 21 years, Dr. Dua, is a hematologist – oncologist who specializes in pediatric hematology and pediatric haploidentical transplant. He is a senior consultant at Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon.
DR. SOUMYA BHATTACHARYA
With a rich experience of 25 long years, Dr. Bhattacharya is a hematologist – oncologist specialising in blood related diseases. He is a consultant at Apollo Gleneagles Hospital, Kolkata.
DR. GANESH S. JAISHETWAR
A consultant at Yashoda Hospital, Hyderabad, with 14 years of experience, Dr. Jaishetwar, specialises in Acute myeloid leukemia.
Dr. Satya Prakash Yadav
Dr. Yadav heads Medanta – The Medicity, Gurgaon, as a director with 21 years of experience. He specialises in pediatric blood disorders an oncology bone marrow transplantation.
These are the best bone marrow transplant doctors in India on whom you can trust blindly for the best procedure to help you cope up with your disease successfully.